2/18/04

"Starry Night" finale

I took the fun Vinny Van Gogh lesson to my Montessori students today, and heard many more intriguing explanations of the "Starry Night" painting. The kids, in three groups, range in age from barely three and barely speaking English, to nine years old. I have been surprised by how many kids see bones and skeletons in the lower left corner of the painting. Take a look for yourself, and let me know what you see.

The youngest preschool group decided that the painting had lots of fireflies! The oldest group decided the painting should be called, "Atlantis". They said the village is under water, and the stars are shining down into the ocean. They also said the swirly stars reminded them of street lights during our rare Valentine's Day snow.

I have the great fortune to live catty-corner to a farm that is surrounded by our suburb. Started my morning kind of down because it is my son's birthday. He is studying at Texas Tech, and this is the first time one of the boys has been away for a birthday. Driving past the farm, I was delighted to see lots of brand new, snowy white baby lambs. They look like they were born in a fresh set of long undies. Nineteen years ago my son was born with a wild head of long black hair. Visitors to the hospital nursery window were commenting on "that little Italian baby". He didn't look Italian for very long, and the lambs may look like they need Clorox by tomorrow morning. Perhaps the lambs will chase fireflies, and Mike will discover Atlantis. Happy birthday!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...