1/29/04

Meanwhile, back at the monastery...

Intriguing discussions with my 8-10 yr. old class about George Rodrigue's "Blue Dog" paintings and works by Paul Klee yesterday. The girls arrived at the conclusion that Blue Dog is the artist's representation of himself, and that he puts himself in different situations by painting Blue Dog in those symbolic scenes. Pretty abstract thinking! Later we were looking at a Paul Klee watercolor with geometric shapes and very clean pastel colors. They were able to perceive a zigzag spatial effect, so we were chatting about the difficulties we had creating the illusion of space and perspective in our group "Pet Shop" mural. Then the girls decided the Klee painting was of a "trying-on-clothes place". Took awhile for me to understand they were talking about a folding Japanese screen. Sddenly one girl announces the painting, "isn't a screen. It's an empty mind." I love that kid. She's a breath of fresh air twirling Tibetan prayer wheels, or maybe the third eye of Sponge Bob! When her mom let her pick out a print at the MOMA show in Houston to give me for Christmas, she couldn't decide whether Van Gogh's "Starry Night", or a Dali of "hallucenogenic goddesses" best fit me.

If I can't be a princess, I wouldn't mind being a goddess!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...