7/22/12

I meant to do my work today...


...but two caterpillars chewed
On my Key Lime tree.
So I neglected the peach-mint salsa recipe
To watch videos of my grandbaby.


Connemara Preserve opened before it got hot,
So I went for a hike, how could I not?
Father William, this butterfly stood on its head.
Not wanting to work either or instead.
I lunched with a friend who needed to vent,
Shopped Kohl's for perfect tops
For fifty-ish ladies obviously
A designer has yet to invent.


The laundry won't care,
Neither will the floors.
Better connect with 
Family, friends, and outdoors.


For these bad verses don't curse
Poor old Louis Untermeyer.
Send  him with Joan Walsh Anglund 
To fold clothes from the dryer.


Spotted the caterpillars while I was out cutting mint for the salsa.  Have home-grown peaches, a gift from a library patron.  Keep your fingers crossed that the Giant Swallowtail caterpillars will continue to grow and that I recover from severe impaired poetitis.  



Ten days or so back this butterfly hung out
laying eggs on my little Key Lime tree.  
My photos were awful since time was so short
and because the window was dirty.











I meant to do my work today--
But a brown bird sang in the apple tree,
And a butterfly flitted across the field,
And all the leaves were calling me.


And the wind went sighing over the land
Tossing the grasses to and fro,
And a rainbow held out its shining hand--
So what could I do but laugh and go?








Richard LeGallienne




FATHER WILLIAM  by: Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)



      "OU are old, Father William," 
      the young man said,
      "And your hair has become very white;
      And yet you incessantly stand on your head--
      Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
       
      "In my youth," Father William replied to his son,
      "I feared it might injure the brain;
      But, now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
      Why, I do it again and again."






© 2012 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...