7/20/12

An elephant fly

Well, now I've seen everything. This is a slightly more grown up version of the patio predator that paralyzed a fly and then sucked out its guts like a giant Slurpee.  We have these little guys at the school playground, too.  I always thought they were baby katydids, and let them run around on my fingers. Now I find they are  musical killing machines--hitmen with marimbas.

What's up with the see-through head?

Actually, this dude has its feeding tube clipped onto its chest where it can make sound vibrations to intimidate predators. Imagine your worst date ever serenading you by tongue-strumming his chest hairs!

If that doesn't scare the predator (or date) away, this insect will unclip the feeding tube and maneuver it to inject a dose of lethal saliva. Okay, stop thinking about that college boyfriend!

That's a feeding tube/noise-maker/killing machine with its own carrying case.

It's all enough to make raising three sons in a small condo seem positively tame, a mere walk down the block to 7-11.  Speaking of which, this is an eighth birthday party with Slurpees before a performance of  "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown".  Those little guys could concoct vile flavor combos at 7-11, but they never hurt anybody!


May 1995

I saw a peanut stand, heard a rubber band,
I saw a needle that winked its eye.
But I think I will have seen everything
When I see an elephant fly. 


...


I heard a fireside chat, I saw a baseball bat
And I just laughed till I thought I'd die
But I'd be done see'n about everything
when I see an elephant fly


(from "Dumbo")

© 2012 Nancy L. Ruder

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Ewwwww. And song in my head.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...