7/16/12

How many shades?


Click beetle gray
Stood in line in the airport bookstore behind females of various ages all purchasing Fifty Shades of Grey to read on their flights. Dull, putty graphite me, I was buying the New York Times for the crossword puzzle.

As an art teacher and fan of Mid-Century Modern design, I'm a connoisseur of gray. Like the Inuits describing snow, fifty seems a small number for the distinctions of gray.

In art class we call the project a value study. I'm not a prude. I've read lots of reviews for the bestsellers, but they do not tempt me. It's interesting that gradations and degradations both pop to mind.








Taunting no rain gray clouds
gray
Texas mountain laurel tree gray

ash
silver
chrome
charcoal
nickel
slate
mica
gravel road
flint
frost
smoke
smudge
fog
drizzle
asphalt
foil 
onyx
basalt
dust


cement concrete
storm
granite
grime
silt
clay
Kodak
tin
aluminum
sleet
scum
grout



stainless
granite
stone
institutional
eraser
sage
moth
lead
pistol
weathered driftwood
smog
mushroom
mouse
fox
tornado
mildew




© 2012 Nancy L. Ruder

2 comments:

Kim said...

I'm relieved to know that scum and mildew are artistic hues. Makes cleaning house seem philistinic (is that a word? If so might it be in that crossword puzzle?)

Kathleen said...

Oh, thank you for the many shades of gray in words & pix. Likewise, on the scum and mildew point that Kim makes! And my daughter said her friend recommended that 50 Shades of Gray book, and the same friend recommended Hunger Games and she liked that, so she wants to read it, and I am afraid to nix the idea because it might motivate her all the more, so I am ignoring the issue. Heh. I'm in a sort of gray area.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...