7/16/12

Formica shades of gray


Walking shoe and Formica chips
Rooting around in a disorganized teacher box in search of a piggy finger puppet I find a cache of Formica samples circa 1965. Give myself  The Talking To where I insist that something I haven't needed or even known existed should be thrown out in the interest of leaving less mess for my kids should I happen to die. Then I talk back to myself and whine.

I fail to put myself in Time Out.  Instead I reach a compromise whereby I keep the gray samples since they are relevant to an ongoing discussion, and chuck the others in the dumpster.

The Formica samples provided some further names for gray:

Bunny grays
haze
platinum
seagull
stardust
white kid leather






Newport, Oregon beach in December
ninja
orchid
optix
graceful oak
ice
surf




Just getting warmed up to the challenge plus inspired by Formica, I add these shade suggestions:

Very large sauerkraut crock
crock
tomato cage
bubble wrap
mystery meat
Duct tape
mockingbird
junco
freezer burn



Hairstreak butterfly
window screens
retro diner
comfy sweats
nap-time tantrum
no bars of service
mirror
shining armor
flashlight batteries
Velcro
wasp nest


Rock and roll is here to stay
fan oscillations
typewriter ribbon
Tut's tomb
tar pit
rocks
aspen bark
tumbleweed
windmill

Remote grays
Miss Haversham
sorry old guys' nasty undershirts
Brillo
air quality alert
technology
obituary
socket set

VCR gray
coming down with something
paper shredder
cable service outage
coin collection
dog-eared textbook

Hindenburg
tax return
charm bracelet
armadillo
clean the grill





Scared of the basement gray
furnace filter
tinted window
dryer lint
cafeteria fork
Mt. St. Helen's
required reading
sensible shoes
emery board
Dragnet
stink bug




Pale bucket gray
lichen
safe deposit box
pewter
tarnished
Edward R. Murrow
toad
cream of mushroom soup
mercury



Lichen or not
but fear itself
jammed stapler
fish scales
snowed-in

teen car oil spot
utensil
Stonehenge




Cozy afghan knit sofa snoozy gray
AV club
pencil shavings
galvanized bucket
pocket protector

dried Elmer's
firework snakes
desert lizard

toenail fungus


Fritzi's wastebasket
aging Tupperware
sink caulk
laundromat
padlock
snowplow
wet mitten
small kitten


© 2012 Nancy L. Ruder

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

I love Formica chips and am glad you saved some. And oh, how I laughed the list of new colors, especially "but fear itself" and "jammed stapler." I would be afraid, though, to have either on my kitchen counter!!

Kim said...

That's the best garbage can ever!

Collagemama said...

Kim--My parents probably had that wastebasket before I was born until we had to the house and move Dad to Texas. I was fascinated by it as a child. It was surprisingly strong for being covered with mirrors. I see a new mosaic project in your future!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...