2/12/12

Not Mission Impossible, nor quick as a bunny

ALL I KNOW IS I KNOW NOTHING.  What I learned about downloading an eBook from my public library to my Kindle:





DO NOT BE IN A HURRY.  


The delivery of library eBooks is not through the miracles of the 3g Whispernet.  That is the instantaneous way I have obtained Kindle books while sitting in LaGuardia and Midway terminals during delays. 




KNOW THYSELF


I needed my library patron number and PIN, plus my Amazon account ID and password.  I needed patience, perseverance, and intestinal fortitude!  






The delivery of library eBooks selected from Overdrive at my library's website is via Wi-Fi.  Early Kindles like mine don't have Wi-Fi access because they are not wearing Mr. Spock's ears.  That means when Overdrive takes me from the checkout to Amazon's Public Library Kindle site, I have to read all the instructions.  This is usually against my religion, so let me say it again:


READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE SCREEN.


Then I click on the "Manage My Kindle" tab to work through the process of downloading the eBook to my computer and transferring it to my Kindle by way of a USB connection.  This is not pretty.  I have some USB port problems so it took awhile to get my computer to find a driver for my Kindle.  


So, I was back to the Beatles...I've got a driver and that's a start.  Then it is a matter of using Windows to see the files on my Kindle and drag my eBook downloads to the Kindle documents file.  Now that I have them downloaded, I kinda wish I'd selected some books I actually cared to read!  My efforts were as a guinea pig/crash test dummy for the library, and I had the smarts for the part.


Since I don't actually want to read either the owner's manual for my brain or Calvin Trillin, I found that I could return the eBooks to my library from Amazon's "Manage My Kindle" page by clicking on the "Actions" button.  If I don't return the eBooks within fourteen days, they will self-destruct, with no overdue fines.



...As always, should you or any of your IM force be caught or killed, the Librarian will disavow any knowledge of your actions. Good luck, Jim. This tape will self-destruct in five seconds. 



© 2012 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...