8/19/07

Ramble on, hornworms

On the phone with Dad, discussing Hy-Vee chef salads, Swanson pot pies, humidity, and no-name golf, when I spy the tomato hornworm hiking across my concrete patio. It's lost, but making very good time. No tomato plants here! Hornworm movements are hiking in anti-gravity boots on a Seventies' waterbed. A rambling hornworm should be accompanied by a merry-go-round calliope version of Led Zep's "Ramble On":

Ramble On,
And now's the time, the time is now,
to sing my song.
I'm goin' 'round the world,
I got to find my girl,
on my way.
I've been this way ten years to the day,
Ramble On,
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams.

Before the phone call is over, a second hornworm traverses the patio, again left to right. True, it could be the earlier lost immigrant on a second circuit searching for Heffalumps. Maybe I'm in Wonderland without my pocket watch.



© 2007 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...