11/12/05

Women Artists 102



I had the great fortune to grow up in a college town with an impressive modern art museum, the Sheldon Gallery at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. The Sheldon, designed by Philip Johnson, is one of the most sophisticated, graceful, and elegant buildings I've experienced. Finished in 1963, the design far outshines Johnson's original Amon Carter in Fort Worth. Even though I was very small, I had already visited the Amon Carter in 1961, and could compare it to the Sheldon in my home town. My childhood impression was that the Sheldon had lots more air to breathe than the Amon Carter!

The Sheldon Gallery has one of the most important collections of American art in the United States. It was there I encountered Nevelson, O'Keeffe, Abstract Expressionist stain painter Helen Frankenthaler, and the Impressionist Mary Cassatt.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...