11/14/05

Opera Tailgate Picnic

Dallas Opera lacks something major to put it in the elite category. I know, I know; Dallas Opera lacks tailgate picnics in the parking lot! I don't know how various opera companies stack up musically, but DO is definitely pre-opera party deficient!

The Santa Fe Opera is in the Tailgating Honor Roll. I ate a Schlotzsky's smoked turkey sandwich on the way to "Don Giovanni" in August of 2004, but I was inspired by Beautiful People doing it up right. "The Santa Fe Opera's opening-night tailgate party. 'People are dressed to the hilt, drinking wine, eating sushi and smoked salmon. They bring out their best china and crystal, but it's still in the parking lot, and it's still a tailgate.'"

How can we bring the Dallas Opera up to the next level? The Opera's current home is the Fair Park Music Hall. Fair Park is also home to the Cotton Bowl. I'm betting Cotton Bowl fans have tailgate picnics in the Fair Park lot on New Year's Day. An opera opening night in December shouldn't be any colder than a New Year's football game.

I'm committing a baby Weber for shish-kabobs and s'mores. I've got two wine glasses, so you may need to BYO. Maybe candle luminaria for the picnic perimeter... Hot chocolate with Schnapps. We'll need lots of Soccer Mom folding chairs. Extra grills and fire pits... This is not going to be a Lake Wobegon Lutheran church supper. Fondue yes, jello no. Hot spiked cider? Ice sculpture centerpiece? Fresh flowers or poinsettias? Presentation is so very important.

Can anyone bring a fire extinguisher? I'm concerned about silk neckties, fur coats, sequins, and feather boas too close to the grill. Tongs. We're gonna need long-handled tongs....oven mitts....salted cashews...pitted black olives...finger bowls and heated hand towels..."I Tail-gated" stickers...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...