11/26/05

They came, they showered, they conquered

Veni, vishy-vashy, vici!
Slowly emerging from my Oscar The Grout shower repair irritability. Looks like the tiles are going to stay on the wall. The sons have subjected them to three or four lengthy showers, and so far so good.

For the first day or so they were home the sons had to use the downstairs shower, so they descended wearing bath towel togas. Et tu, shampoo? I would like to show you the funny photos of a vintage toga troll doll, and of Homer Simpson wearing a towel. You ought to click these links, but don't lose the grip on your towel.

One son has uncharacteristic short spiked hair styled with "pomade" this visit. The other looks like a lean woolly mammoth. How I do love the Online Etymology Dictionary!

pomade 1562, from M.Fr. pommade "an ointment," from It. pomata, from pomo "apple," from L. pomum "fruit, apple," so called because the original ointment recipe contained mashed apples.
smarmy "ingratiating, unctuous," 1924, from smarm "to behave in a flattering way" (1920), variant of colloquial smalm, smawm (1847) "to smear, bedaub" (the hair, with pomade) of unknown origin.

I remember when these guys styled their hair by bedaubing it with Gerber applesauce:


I have to laugh at the photo where I'm about to give my youngest a bath in the kitchen sink. My sweatshirt says, "I Survived." The sentiment still fits even if the shirt's too small!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...