7/13/04

When I am in charge of the (art) world

No museum will host a special exhibit unless its gift shop has postcards or small reproductions of every work in the show. No exceptions.

Drove to Ft. Worth this afternoon to see the "Caravaggio to Dali: 100 Masterpieces from the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art" exhibit at the Kimbell Art Museum. I love the Kimbell. I loved much of the art in the exhibit. I wanted to be able to remember it without having to buy an inflated, wordy volume on the complete collection of the Wadsworth, which is really loaded with religious paintings and Surrealist stuff that makes me crave Mylanta. I wanted to be able to show my students the dozen pieces that blew me away, and would fit into my class lessons. Do people really buy all those expensive art books and gimmicky, allegedly art-related toys in the museum gift shop? I would spend at least twenty dollars at every special exhibit I attend if the gift shop ever had postcards of every single piece. GRRRRR

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...