11/18/05

"Love means never having to share your shower."

Two of my grown sons will be here for Thanksgiving. Eek! That means I'm almost out of time to fix the shower tile in the upstairs bathroom. I love the guys dearly, and I will be absolutely delighted to see them. I just don't want to share my bathroom with them.

Just finished sticking the tiles back on the wall behind the tub. One hundred ten 4x4" tiles, except that some were broken when they fell off the wall into the tub, and had to be replaced by 2x2" colored tiles. I tried to find matching tiles at surplus/warehouse/seconds stores to match the twenty-three year old tiles, but to no avail.

As a young teen I saw two movies that profoundly influenced my life. Ryan O'Neal starred in both of them. The woman for whom I babysat convinced my mom to take me to "Love Story" in 1968 or 1969. What a stupid, sappy movie! I began to see that love and biological itches weren't the same, and that smart, hard-working library employees had more class than entitled rich kids. Love Story has the moronically melodramatic line spoken by Ali MacGraw as Jennifer Cavalieri:

Love means never having to say you're sorry.

I never wanted to see "Love Story" again. I always avoid movies with young lovers dying of hideous diseases.

In contrast, I have watched Peter Bogdanovich's What's Up Doc? dozens of times over thirty-three years. I learned to keep track of my luggage, and to appreciate rock music. When Barbra Streisand as Judy tells Ryan O'Neal as Dr. Howard Bannister that "Love means never having to say you're sorry," he responds,

"That's the dumbest thing I ever heard". Rightly so. Just as dumb are the empty apologies without behavior changes from the person who is supposed to love you.

I'm reminded of another conversation from the same movie these days--

Fritz, played by Stefan Gierasch: I am afraid one of our guests has lost something.
Eunice, played by Madeline Kahn: Well, I fail to see how it could possibly be in here unless it crawled here under its own power.
Fritz: Precisely Miss Burns.
Eunice: What are you saying?
Eunice screams and jumps onto the bed
Eunice: What if it's in there?
Fritz: Impossible, madam. Snakes, as you know, live in mortal fear of... tile.

I live in mortal fear of tile, and not without reason. I'll be very sorry if I don't have this shower ready for the guys I love! Deciding to do this home repair myself was not the craziest thing I've done as a homeowner. It's been slightly easier, but more time-consuming than sawing up the couch. It hasn't been nearly as therapeutic or satisfying. I sure hope it doesn't fall down again the first time a guy showers.

Good night all. Over and grout.

You must remember this

A kiss is still a kiss,

a sigh is just a sigh

The fundamental things apply

As time goes by

And when two lovers woo

They still say, "I love you"

On that you can rely

No matter what the future brings

As time goes by

Lyrics and Music by Herman Hupfeld;© 1931 Warner Bros. Music Corp., ASCAP

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...