10/26/11

Black and white and red all over

Not able to post much because I cannot put down Erin Morgenstern's novel, The Night Circus. The book reminds me of trying to catch the spot images after a Kodak flash photo when I was a little kid. Birthday parties were so simple then. Kids chase optical spots from flash photography. Kids create static electricity rubbing balloons on their hair. Kids play "Drop the Handkerchief" and "Musical Chairs".


This photo is of the likely last canna bloom of the fall. My many cannas were slashed, bent, and broken in the weekend midnight hailstorm, so I was pleased to find a bloom emerging fresh from the wreckage.



The storm was a stunning display of black and white, just right for a reader deep in the novel.  Sunday afternoon Act III of the Dallas Opera's "Lucia di Lammermoor" had a strobe lightning storm that tried but couldn't match nature.  Lucia won with her mad scene duet with the flute, though. See part of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfgOPNXWU2I




© 2011 Nancy L. Ruder

3 comments:

Kim said...

What a voice!

Kathleen said...

Love the art, sorry about the hail, and, oddly, I am listening to opera today, too. As Kim will discover when she comes over to drink wine with me!

Kim said...

Cleopatra arias with pinot grigio. Perfecto!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...