3/4/11

Traffic cones and tortillas

I'm as corny as Kansas in August, but nobody ever called me stylish.  You might have seen me at the corner of Prince and Elizabeth on the morning of 2/19.  I was looking like a traffic cone in my new Polar Tec fleece.  My simply stylish color from Lands' End is "watermelon sorbet", or about the hue of a strawberry DQ dip cone.


Starting my first full day in New York City, my son asked if I liked corn.  Wul, yuh.  But not before coffee.  At least two mugs and a hot shower.  I stared out at inflated plastic grocery bags floating in air above the twenty-second floor between me and the Empire State Building.  There wasn't a moment to waste in the extremely windy sightseeing weekend, but first things first! 


We bundled up and walked to the subway for the ride to Cafe Habana in Nolita.  This roasted corn on a stick is the specialty of the restaurant, and I could have eaten my weight in this Aztec delight. 

These photos come from the restaurant website.  I wish I could photoshop myself into the views for grilled corn, huevos and cafe con leche.





© 2011 Nancy L. Ruder

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Corn on a stick! Ah, fond memories of street corn in Chicago, as plentiful as the ice cream vendors in some neighborhoods!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...