3/15/11

Sippy cup

Give the man coffee!!!

The hospice nurse and I were discussing ways to get more nutrition into Dad.  We hope his doctor will approve a change to thin liquids.  For many months now he's been receiving "nectar-thickened" liquids to reduce chances of aspiration and choking.  Drinking "nectar-thickened" liquids is a lot like treading water in gravy.

Apricot nectar is one of my favorite juices, and V8 is almost the right thickness.  Peach nectar is not bad, but pear nectar is like drinking diluted boogers.  Years spent working "Special Diets" in the Bryan Hospital kitchen as a teenager gave me some insight into the kitchen underbelly of care facilities. Then there were years trying to strengthen my fingernails with Knox gelatin or to combat prescription side-effects with Metamucil mixed into orange juice.

Just FYI, when I am dying please give me mugs of tomato basil soup daily.  Feed me baked potatoes with sour cream and cheddar.  Let me slurp guacamole through a straw.  When they chop up my food, just give me Sloppy Joes.  I could go for some baked squash with brown sugar about now, but no broccoli.  Amen.

© 2011 Nancy L. Ruder

1 comment:

Kim said...

Pumpkin pie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...