3/29/10

Old furniture, furniture, furniture


I'm sure I should know which bird sings the "old furniture" song. It's not the cardinal's "cheer, cheer" call, or the "chick-a-dee dee dee" of the black-capped chickadee. Thanks to Hot-Air Henry, I know the red-winged blackbird sings, "Okalee; can't catch me."

Killdeer say "kill deer". Bobwhite quail say their name, which was the name of a kid in my high school class. Bill White is running for Texas governor against Rick Perry. Bill White's song is still getting out to Texans. We already know Rick Perry's song to his conservative good hair base.

The hawk that oversees my condo complex says "keck". Just "keck".

At the Heard Nature Sanctuary I learned that a tufted titmouse calls "peter peter peter". The Carolina wren sings "tea kettle, tea kettle, tea kettle".

Now I'm going to read James Thurber's story about the effect of a whip-poor-will on an insomniac. Please don't make me wax my furniture.

© 2010 Nancy L. Ruder

2 comments:

Christine Thresh said...

California redwing blackbirds around my yard sing "Lucky me."
These birds are called bi-color blackbirds because they only have red, not the yellow stripe.

Collagemama said...

A mockingbird has taken over the top branch of the soapberry tree by singing nonstop this afternoon. The jays, waxwings, and cardinals have all retreated.

I like "bicolor" blackbirds. It reminds me of my early costuming efforts to make bicolor tights for a kids' production of Romeo & Juliet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...