3/13/09

Galleries for gray, spring days

This is a painter's time of year with the hopeful green of new leaves nearly neon against our silvery-gray rain-heavy sky. The wet tree trunks and branches are dark inside their cotton candy fluffs of white, pink, mauve, and rose blossoms.

My attention span is short these early spring days, and galleries are more enticing than museums. A visit to the Valley House Gallery refueled my inner artist. That poor girl must have been running on fumes!

Valley House has increased its exhibit space without altering its building. Henry Finkelstein's brushy oil landscapes always speak my language. This year his show also includes two still lifes and a lovely interior.

Also on view at Valley House are Gail Norfleet's hand-colored monotypes of people at gallery openings. "Looking at Art" is the Dallas arts scene version of a play within a play. Wish my schedule allowed me to attend her gallery talk tomorrow:

Artist Talk: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 11:00 a.m.
Where: Valley House Gallery & Sculpture Garden
Address: 6616 Spring Valley Road, Dallas, TX 75254
Phone: 972-239-2441
Hours: Monday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Admission: Free

The cover of T H E, an oddly named periodical of arts in the Metroplex, caught my eye on the Valley House entry table. I'd been teaching bird identification much of the afternoon, and here was Charley Harper's distinctive cardinal. There's an exhibit of original paintings and vintage serigraphs by Charley Harper at The Public Trust gallery in Deep Ellum through April. I've got to get there, as my inner artist needs new spark plugs, too.

© 2009 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...