3/9/09

Extracurricular Lobster

It's pretty silly looking back. I put "Art Club Treasurer" on my college, award, and scholarship applications like the title demonstrated leadership, fiscal responsibility, organization, and peer esteem. Lord knows, I hope Tim Geitner wasn't his high school art club treasurer!

Art Club was mostly an opportunity to mess around with eight or nine other students while listening to Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant" on a small turntable. At any time a good half of the membership served as officers. We spent most of our business meetings approving the purchase of officer pins for each other.

Our other activities were making rings out of spoon handles; drawing little chickens, owls, and frogs to sell; and manning the Art Cart sales venue. We actually found customers for our drawings of little chickens which were displayed on tiny easels we made from drapery pleater hooks.

At the end of each spring semester we organized an outing to a gallery and a restaurant to spend all our Treasury funds. All year we talked about eating lobster like it would be an initiation rite for the youngest members. Indeed, I ate my first lobster as an Art Club sophomore at The Knolls Supper Club in Lincoln. The next spring I ate lobster at Steinhart Lodge in Nebraska City.

As for the useful ability to make tiny easels from drapery pleater hooks, it's come in handy many times:








© 2009 Nancy L. Ruder

1 comment:

Genevieve Netz said...

I will have to study your illustrations. I need such an easel.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...