5/17/08

Raiders of the School Cilantro

Harrison Ford and I needed more fresh cilantro for the chicken posole. Fortunately Sean Connery had mailed me his diary detailing the whereabouts of the secret source of bountiful cilantro.

So, after I picked up Danger Baby at the DART station, Indiana Jones and I stopped over at my school's garden to pick a bunch. Thank heaven there were no snakes. Indy hates snakes.

My recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Posole comes from Weight Watchers by way of a co-worker. It doesn't even call for cilantro. Come to think of it, the soup I'm making is actually a cross between the posole recipe and another recipe for "white chili". But Indiana Jones and I take risks in pursuit of spicy, satisfying, inexpensive stews to feed my currently large household.

Raiders of the School Cilantro Soup

Place in large (4.5 quart) crockpot on high heat:
2 cans of Great Northern Beans, undrained
1 can of diced green chilies, undrained
1 can of "original" Rotel tomatoes and chilies, undrained
1 box of Kroger organic chicken broth
1 big can of hominy, drained
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 T lime juice
1 t cumin
1 t cayenne

In a skillet on medium heat brown in 1 t oil:
1/2 cup ground sausage
3 chicken breasts
1/2 orange bell pepper
1 large clove of garlic, peeled and minced
lots and lots of fresh cilantro cut with Fiskars round-tip scissors

Remove from skillet and cut chicken into small bite-size pieces.
Add to crockpot. Cook on high for several hours. Turn to low and simmer several more. And yes, I'm looking forward to the "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" release.



© 2008 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...