5/3/08

Midnight adrenalin

Long week with two annoying songs stuck in my head. David Bowie's "Ground Control to Major Tom", and John Cougar Mellencamp's "I Need a Lover Who Won't Drive Me Crazy"* were playing continuous loops and would not hey hit the highway.

Went to sleep early, but had dreams with whimpering children. I finally came awake at midnight realizing the whimpering was the dog next door. He's never left outside and rarely barks, but now the whimpering was escalating to barking.

The dog's owner is eighty-five years old, and his balance is poor. Had he taken the dog outside and fallen? Was Lassie trying to tell me Timmy was in the well?

The only way to see over the privacy fence is to climb up on top of my air conditioner unit. The poor dog was frantic seeing my head pop over the fence. The bedhead hairdo probably didn't help. My neighbor wasn't lying on the section of patio I could see.

Back inside I had to dig up the neighbor's phone number. Please answer, I thought. Don't make me call 911!

The story had a happy ending. My neighbor had just dozed off, forgetting to let his little dog back inside. He apologized, but I just thanked him for not being injured! Couldn't get back to sleep for a long time. I'm so grateful for the neighbors who have come to my parents' aid in recent years.

Timmy never was in the well, of course. Jon Provost, who played tv's Timmy for many years has a new autobiography, called Timmy's In the Well.

*I need a lover that won't drive me crazy
I need a lover that won't drive me crazy
I need a lover that won't drive me crazy
Some girl that knows the meaning of a
Hey hit the highway



© 2008 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...