2/17/08

Herbie Hancock & Bill Bryson

Don't know when my master bathroom became the recharging room. There are only two electrical outlets. I've got my toothbrush, phone, and camera battery all recharging, and then my little nightlight in one plug. I know I'm unlikely to forget my phone if I plug it in here, but will probably forget it plugged anywhere else.

Funny image, remembering the old Miller and Paine Ladies' Lounge on second floor of the downtown department store. Besides the clean restroom with dozens of toilets, the lounge also had a room for lady shoppers to put their feet up, rest and refuel, meet friends before a lunch in the Tea Room, take care of infants, or even read the newspaper.

Nowadays we do all our recharging electronically. What would the Miller and Paine Ladies' Lounge look like with laptops recharging, women multi-tasking by cellphone, instant-messaging, listening to iPods, and showing the kiddies a movie on a tiny portable dvd player to keep them from fussing?! That would only happen if we slowed down enough to sit even briefly in the lounge.

We forget that we need to put our mental feet up, rest, meet friends before lunch, and refuel. I'm grateful to have a three-day weekend. Even more, I'm glad to have a gray, rainy weekend reminding me to keep things simple and recharge. Lunch and walk with a friend, writing, making art, listening to Herbie Hancock's River: the joni letters... Wayne Shorter's sax flows through me like mercury beads from a broken thermometer scooting across the bathroom floor.

Laughing. What wonderful biofuel for the psyche! Bill Bryson's memoir of childhood in 1950s Des Moines, The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, has me laughing so hard the tears run down my cheeks.

The Turbo Tax return will wait another day or another week. How much better I feel for untasking and relaxing!

© 2008 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...