2/3/08

Ginko and Bertoia



The postcard from Valley House Gallery announcing its exhibit of recent paintings and sculpture by David Dreyer has been sitting on my desk since early January. The gray painting with the lemon yellow ginko leaf, black and white shapes reminds me of my dad's living room. I grew up with a yellow Eames rocking chair just about that ginko's color, black Bertoia chairs, and white tables. I turned the postcard image upside down, and it looked even more like a table in the living room.

Yesterday was perfect for visiting the Valley House Gallery and its sculpture garden in between errands and searching for red and white peppermint beads at craft and art stores. It was a sunny, calm, light-sweater-only day after a bleak and very windy week.

The postcard was sitting next to my new AARP magazine with Jack Nicholson on the cover and an ad for replenishing, radiant makeup on the back. My visit to the gallery was replenishing, too!

I have no idea if David Dreyer, adjunct instructor of art at SMU, ever sat in a Diamond Chair designed in 1952 by Harry Bertoia for Knoll. He would recognize the airy wire framework and sculptural form, though.


The Valley House Gallery exhibit continues through next Saturday. David Dreyer's works will be on display at The MAC (The McKinney Avenue Contemporary) March 8-April 25.

© 2008 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...