7/15/07

International Quilt Study Center

The new facility for the International Quilt Study Center at the University of Nebraska is going to be a traffic stopper. Now under construction at 33rd and Holdrege in Lincoln, Nebraska, the building was so exciting to the eye that I drove around it several times. Yes, I took the photo through the car windshield, but there wasn't any traffic at that moment!

I had seen the architect's model in the UN-L Home Economics building, but still wasn't prepared for the visual impact of the glass reception hall. Robert A. M Stern Architects have certainly connected the aesthetics of the structure to the function. The form triggered memories of a quilt made by my great-grandmother. These are two left-over pieces of that quilt pattern.





The quilt pieces remind me of a peeled and opened orange. Today they also remind me of the Dulcinea cantaloupe I tried last night. It was much sweeter than a normal cantaloupe, but made me sneeze just the same.



I look forward to visiting the new IQSC facility next year. It is expected to open in March of 2008. By summer the landscaping should be lovely.


© 2007 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...