2/15/06

Turning twelve

Somehow my toddler nephew is having his twelfth birthday this month. He's in accelerated math at his middle school, which gives me flashbacks to Millard Lefler Junior High School.

When I was his age I received a mechanical pencil for my birthday. The pencil was pimento red, and I bet I still have it in a box someplace. I thought it was totally cool having all the little leads and replacement erasers. My math class gave me cool points (and Lord knows I needed every cool point I could get in junior high) because of my groovy pencil. That mechanical pencil was a connection to my engineer dad, like having a guardian angel on my algebra shoulder.

At the Montessori school where I teach it is a huge honor for a student to have a mechanical pencil. The kids have to pass certain levels of handwriting and math before they are allowed to bring one to school.

I know that there are lots of disposable Bic mechanical pencils out there nowadays. I want to give my nephew the real deal--an engineer-worthy mechanical pencil to be his middle school talisman.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...