8/5/05

Hamilton Pool Preserve

Received a comment from South Australian blogger Beerli about the waterfall photo in my sidebar. The forty-five foot waterfall at Hamilton Pool Preserve is one of my favorite places in Texas. When my cousin treated me to a delightful weekend in Austin last spring we had a picnic and hike at the Preserve. On other visits my sons and I have floated and played in the water.

(My photo from 4/05)

Descending the hill to Hamilton Creek and following the path to the Pool feels like a transition into a time both prehistoric and magical, as well as a transition from the semi-arid Texas Hill Country to a riparian canyon of ferns and chatterbox orchids. Thousands of years ago the limestone dome over an underground river collapsed due to erosion to create this beautiful grotto. Now the grotto forms the end of a steep box canyon. The ecology is very fragile, and seems to be carefully monitored and protected by Travis County so that needs of endangered species are balanced with enjoyment by seventy-five thousand visitors per year.
Photos I wish I had taken, but are from the links above.





1 comment:

CathyW said...

Thank you for that. It sounds like the Mele Cascades in Vanuatu because they come right over the top of a huge hill and then cascade down and the water is filtered over limestone and down, down, down out of the rainforest. So it sounds like it was originally an area like that. The water just looks superb and those orchids...how pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...