12/5/04

Personal froofing

Got a perm just before Thanksgiving for the first time in about three years. My little students had varying reactions to my transformation. The most fun for me was going to my outreach school to teach Wednesday. The littlest student of all caught sight of me as I was driving the old Buick into my customary parking space. I waved, and it slowly dawned on him who that wild, curly person was. The smile that spread across his face was like a glorious sunrise. All through class he stared at me with this look of pleased wonderment. English isn't the first language in his home, I'm pretty sure, so we didn't discuss my hair. I bet if we all smiled like that every morning, no one would ever need Botox.

Having a perm requires more froofing with my hair than normal. It also requires "product".

While my hair was being rolled and permed, my Crazy Lady hairdresser was having a conversation with a teenage guy about his mom's hair:
It's still purple.
That's what she wanted. She had me special order that color.
I have to go work at [unnamed big box electronics store] after you cut my hair.
You'll be very busy.
Yeah, I have to work Black Friday.
When's that?
They're having it on Tuesday this year.
Did you come over to the dumpster yesterday?
No, why?
They put all the beer into it from the liquor store that was closed down for selling to minors.
Whoa.
Yeah, it was a big, big dumpster, like for a construction site. All day long people were driving up and diving into the dumpster. Then they would call all their friends.
Whoa.
Yeah, that's why I can't run the water.
Huh?

If I run the water it comes up in the nail salon next door. I'm not sure I should be giving you this perm.
Huh?
When the landlord shut off the water to the liquor store it goofed up the plumbing for the nail salon and the donut store.
Whoa?
They told me not to give shampoos or flush.
What!?
I'll just go see if they are still doing salon pedicures with the whirlpools. I loaned them all the buckets, you know.
But, like, whoa.
Why didn't you call me about the dumpster?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...