10/21/12

28th Regiment Illinois Volunteers


On August 1st 1861.  I enlisted in Camp Butte near Springfield Illinois in Company:,, Co:”  28th Regiment Illinois Volunteers infantry:,, I served in the 3d Brigade 4 Division 13th Army Corps -- -- Army of the Tennessee. -- -- [  ] part of my time, we were attached to the 16th Army Corps; not having enough men left in our own Ranks; to keep our own Corps Complete. I was honorably discharged on September 10th 1864.  at Springfield Illinois, after having served my time of enlistment, of three years and month!!!  -- -- --- -- --- ---
What shall I say of all the bloody fights and skirmishes? – or the more important Battles;,, such as Fort Henry & Heiman.—Shiloh or Pittsburg Landing – Corinth Miss:  Matamoras – Hollys [farm] Black River – Grand Gulf; -- or yet the more bloody ones of: Vicksburg – and Jackson Mississippi
             
Page 8.  National Park Service Regiment information link. Confirmation of August Sasse, private in regiment link. 

With the thought of all these slaughtering days it makes me shudder even now; and I wish they had not been:!’ -- -- -- -- --

Counting the skirmishes, and all other small affairs:,, where blood flowed freely:,, I have taken part in 28 fights or Battles – in fact from Cairo Illinois or Birds Point Mo.
To Pittsburg Landing.  Then the Siege on Corinth Miss; where we had a fight every day –and every night dug trenches – to protect ourselves; the following day- from the rebel hordes; and that on from the [7]th day of April, until the following 30th day of May; when the Rebels evacuated the City;, after setting fire to all their Commissary stores, and forage, which they could not take away with Them! – and when we marched in; The whole City was indeed a glare of fire brands in all directions!!- from here we were on many weary marches, Through the interior of The States of Kentucky = TennesseeMississippi – and Louisiana:”—On These long marches, we had many little [straches] near Bolivar Lagrange – Collierville and Hollysprings:,, -- -- -- -- --
As before stated, I was discharged in September 1864 at Springfield Illinois
Page 9

from there I went for a short visit to my old Camping ground; Havana Illinois – then went on a trip across the Ocean to my old Birthplace and found my dear old Mother alive and well!! – In my stay there that winter, -- I saw – admired – and loved your dear old mother;,, in The Lutheran Church at Bramsche = Your Mothers Birthplace;; in The presence of your Aunts:,, Elizabeth [ hland] – Anna Mundt – Hermione Kreiling – Caroline Rentsch – and your Uncle C. J. W. Sasse and many other relatives of your mother. ==

On the 20th day of February 1865, your dear old Mother and Myself, bid farewell to our beloved ones: and one month later, arrived at Havana Ills: where we rented a farm, and went to housekeeping.  In this part we rented and farmed for 7 Years in which time four Children were born to us:”—Caroliene September 26th 1865. Anna [Novor] = 1867 who died when 10 months of age:,,  Minnie Febr 18th 1869 – August, October 15th 1870 -- --


© 2012 Nancy L. Ruder

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Fascinating! I read a bunch of Civil War letters for a script I wrote last year for our cemetery walk!

Collagemama said...

Thanks, Kathleen. I think it is fascinating, too, and not just because it is written by an ancestor. Hang on for the homesteading years!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...