8/7/12

Wallowing in self pity and melted Parmesan

Nobody wants to hear my whole tale of woe. It's not the sort of stuff for Fox News or CNN or even Judge Judy. Instead I will offer two enchanting new short reads and two tiny tales, just little woe-Lite. I will alternate, beginning with a woelette so as to end with an upper. Okay?


  • The squash vine borers found our brand new zucchini sprouts in the garden.  After the fancy dressing "bad boys" killed our first zucchini the schoolchildren dug and improved the soil and built a mound. They planted the seeds and waited for the sprouts. They decided which three sprouts looked the strongest, and pulled out the wimps. And the very next day the squash vine borers reappear. A five year old spotted the and started the special clapping signal for everyone to race to the garden. "This is gonna be BAD!," she announced. 

  • Chapman's Odyssey, by Paul Bailey is the stream-of-conscious life-passing-before-his-eyes tale of a British poet/actor/professor/novelist. While not as fabulous as I'd hoped, it gave me a new way to think of some of my father's ramblings toward the end of his life.

  • Seriously wiped out after my preschool day I got groceries and came home. Put things away in the kitchen, then spent a couple hours with a platypus. When I took the reusable bags back out to the car trunk I found the $3.76 container of shredded Parmesan behind the jumper cables.  The contents were melted into a solid glob.

  • Albert of Adelaide is the can't-put-down tale of the platypus by New Mexico lawyer Howard L. Anderson. It's delightful, but hard to explain.  The best description I've seen is "if Larry McMurtry had written Wind in the Willows", although I might have said it was The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly crossed with Watership Down. You will be amazed how suspended your disbelief can be!

Much have I not travell'd in the realms of gold*, silver, and bronze, but I did catch a segment on NBC Sunday recalling Olga Korbut at the 1972 Olympics. Found myself suddenly misty-eyed.


© 2012 Nancy L. Ruder

3 comments:

Kim said...

Maybe those bad bugs at school would like the parmesan? One of my kids favorite shows, Phineas and Ferb, features a pet platypus that is a secret agent (Perry the Platypus, aka Agent P, is a "semi-aquatic mammal of action.")

Christine Thresh said...

I would have never found my melted Parmesan (if I had any) because I keep my reusable bags in my car's back seat. I put them (full of groceries) in the trunk when I drive home. Once they are unloaded and put away, I don't open the trunk again.

Collagemama said...

Christine--My backseat has many bags for school and library, so the reusable bags have to swim around in the trunk. I feel lucky it was cheese and not a salmon steak lost in the trunk. That could have gotten really ugly.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...