8/12/12

Syncopated Journey


One of my tiny students is an unpaid intern at the Ministry of Silly Walks. She swaggers, sidles, sways, shimmies, sashays,and struts. If her dress has enough ruffles she swirls. She's only three, so skipping is a developmental step ahead.

When it is to her scheming advantage she staggers and stumbles, then bats her big dark eyes. What a world class manipulator in such a tiny body! Other times she acts just like that Snoopy bobblehead figurine I had in 1963.

Charles Schultz's book Happiness is a Warm Puppy was published in 1962. My tiny student has not graduated to performing the Snoopy happy dance.

Sas-far-as-I-know, I'm not dying (despite a recent recurrence of hypochondria and a lot of life-passing-before-my-eyes all in an off-beat a-patter). The song in my head is actually "Sentimental Journey" as performed by Glenn Miller and Doris Day crossed with Leroy Anderson's "Syncopated Clock", Takes me right back to birthday chats with the Organ Lady at Lee's Restaurant!

syncopation [ˌsɪŋkəˈpeɪʃən] n
1. (Music, other) Music
a.  the displacement of the usual rhythmic accent away from a strong beat onto a weak beat

© 2012 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...