6/23/12

Unintentional watermelon/uncooperative lime


Life is good.  Limes are good.  Key limes would be nice.

I received a Key lime tree at the teacher appreciation luncheon, but my patio doesn't have enough pollinators to prod the blossoms toward fruit.

That's why I've been donning butterfly wings and rushing outside with my pollinator paintbrush shortly after sunrise.

So far no baby limes, but citrus hope springs eternal.  That's why I was so dashed when I started seeing green debris on the patio.  And then there was that influx of unwanted rodentia.

Let me just say I'm totally opposed to any rodents in the condo complex setting.  I don't care if it's an escaped gerbil, or a hormonal hamster.  So why are these rodents rushing my patio?  To eat little green things!  The LGTs are not baby limes.  Instead they are falling from the sky to bonk Chicken Little upside the head.

Actually, a squirrel was up in the neighbor's soapberry tree devouring green seeds, and knocking many more to the ground for other rodent marauders.  The soapberry tree is about ten years old.  It volunteered after a nice shade tree fell over.

Ten years makes a lot of winter soapberry mess falling on my patio.  On the upside, it's a lot of red admiral butterflies and hummingbirds, too.  But this is the first I remember of summer LGT mess:







Finally have a result of my pollen fairy dances.  It looks like a watermelon, not a zucchini.  Some rodent will probably bite into it soon.

I'll have to keep hoping for the limes.

© 2012 Nancy L. Ruder

1 comment:

Michael - Plano Prairie Garden said...

Good luck with your lime pollination. You need to get some antenna for it to be most effective.

I thought mocking birds were pecking my tomatoes, but it turns out that I have a rodent problem too. That's what I get for creating a wildlife habitat. I hope he enjoyed his tomatoes because his days are numbered.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...