4/20/12

Worm poetry with professional input

Between Buds and corn
on the cob in the fridge three
nightcrawler boxes

One nightcrawler box on the counter.


Okay, sort of hokey haiku, but hey, it's National Poetry Month and I'm running out of time.  Danced the worm Hokey Pokey with 4-5 year olds at my worm show Thursday morning.  

This post has had an edit thanks to input from Kathleen who said...
I love the nightcrawler boxes in the fridge!!
Kathleen did not say the other hokey haiku did not work, but it didn't take long after reading her comment to realize they did not.  That's why she is a real live professional poet and I am a worm lady.  Alas.
Never got around to grilling the corn last night after talking to the probate attorney and trying to understand what is going on with my registered domain name.*  You will just have to envision the cornsilk in the plastic grocery bag.  And the Buds are gone.  Today I took the three bait boxes to school and the preschoolers released the nightcrawlers into our garden.  Twenty-five of twenty-six students were brave enough to hold a worm.  The worms were pleased to get out of the boxes and into perfect worm weather--dark, humid, cool with rain approaching.  They put on a splendid movement and tunneling exhibition for the children. 
Then we found this tiny moth on the lock to the playground toy chest:.  A few kids liked the sound of "lock moth" so they stomped and staggered around chanting
lock moth
lock moth
lock moth
lock moth
lock moth



Just glad they didn't form a conga line.
lock moth lock moth LOCK MOTH!
lock moth lock moth LOCK MOTH!
During the Q&A at the worm show a mom asked if there were really one thousand red wigglers in a pound.  Yup. Then a pre-K teacher asked how I separate my worms from the humus they have made so I can use that good dirt.  I said on a Friday evening after a really rough week in the preschool I go home and sit on my laundry room floor with my worm bin and I pull the worms out, count them, and put them into a different bin.  After about five hundred worms I feel much better.  Blood pressure and respiration normal.  The earth even seems to be spinning properly on its axis.
1 red wiggler 
2 red wigglers 3 red wigglers 
4 red wigglers 5 red wigglers 6 red wigglers

*The estate doesn't have a domain name.  These are separate issues, although they are both opened cans of worms.
© 2012 Nancy L. Ruder

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

I love the nightcrawler boxes in the fridge!!

It's true. I think my verification words today sound like a species of worm!!

Collagemama said...

Once again I have lost my list of verification words. Are they the Ouija boards of the new millennium? Sometimes they are so apropo in 3D glasses hindsight!

Kathleen said...

Oh, dear! It was not a poetry evaluation, and I would never disparage the other worm poetry. It was a human-to-worm poetry-delight experience. I loved finding nightcrawlers in boxes in your poem just as I loved finding nightcrawlers in cardboard cans in our fridge on the rare fishing trips of our lives! The whole idea of nightcrawlers. Gigantic worms. Just remembered I wrote a play called Nightcrawlers once. Oh, my whole muddy life just rolled back over me.

Hey, I'm pretty sure The Bloggess will be near you soon and you would enjoy her. And her book.

http://thebloggess.com/lets-pretend-this-never-happened-tour/

Collagemama said...

I thought it was great fun to get the poetry input. The other haikus did not even make sense to me the morning after. It reminded me of my college poetry class, which was a very nerve-wracking experience, although it did lead to two published poems. We sat around one table and the only student who liked to read his poems aloud was a Vietnam vet with what we now call PTSD. Those were very scary poems, and it would not have surprised us if he pulled a grenade out of his backpack.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...