12/13/11

A little less stressed with Wenceslas and Wences

S'awright!  I'm gonna be all right.  Sure, I'm talking with my puppet hand, but it's all good.

Feeling relief tonight that all my little students have painted their clay trivets, wrapped them in bubble wrap, and have them nestled all snug in little gift bags ready to take home on the last day of the semester.

Haven't had enough time or daylight to hike at Oak Point Nature Preserve in December.  The photo was taken in November. This type of seedhead always reminds me of a puppet saying "s'awright" way back in my black and white television childhood. It took a bit of Googling to track down the name of that ventriloquist, Senor Wences.  He appeared often on the Ed Sullivan Show with his puppets, Johnny, Pedro, and Cecilia.  Pedro was a head in a box, and said "s'awright."  Johnny was a face drawn on a puppet hand.  Cecilia was a chicken.







Perhaps this  perambulation began when I spilled the paprika in my hash browns.  My puppet hand had a chat with Billy Crystal!





Waiter, there is too much pepper on my paprikash. 
But I would be proud to partake of your pecan pie. 

I've always liked the carol, "Good King Wenceslas", but it's hard to say just why.  As a child I enjoyed being able to pronounce Wenceslas, but there's also the Bohemian connection, and the legend of a kind, good king.  Maybe I just liked it because I managed to memorize it for my piano teacher, a rare miracle!


Good King Wenceslas looked out
On the feast of Stephen
When the snow lay round about
Deep and crisp and even
Brightly shone the moon that night
Though the frost was cruel
When a poor man came in sight
Gath'ring winter fuel
...

In his master's steps he trod
Where the snow lay dinted
Heat was in the very sod
Which the Saint had printed
Therefore, Christian men, be sure
Wealth or rank possessing
Ye who now will bless the poor
Shall yourselves find blessing 

© 2011 Nancy L. Ruder

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

You have given me sweet memories and much cheer.

Also my code word today is actually "sweet"!

Kim said...

I want my code word to be "s'aright"...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...