9/8/11

Candy Land and the chips fall where they may

It ain't May.  Everywhere I walked this week the chips were falling.  Late afternoon sun made the dried leaves and grasses especially golden.  This photo shows the Willow Springs Trail at Oak Point Nature Preserve and Park here in Plano, Texas.



Took a long mental health walk there Wednesday, and came away pretty crazed for potato chips and Mom's sour cream dip made with a Good Seasons Italian dressing packet, preferably with a cold Fresca containing cyclamates and an episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on the black and white t.v. David Hedison as Commander Lee Crane was my first t.v. crush, which might be why I enjoy a Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt ocean adventure now and then.  Shhhhh!  Please don't tell.



"Causes cancer in rats" took my Fresca away in 1969, which was already a very weird year.  I blamed the rats, and Nixon, of course.



I scuffed along the chip trail, no Pringles or Baked Lays thank you very much, remembering my 1950s era Candy Land game board with the Valentine hearts, candy canes, gum drops, spooky brittle witch house, lollipop lane, molasses swamp, and gingerbread house.  Where was the Canyon of Potato Chips?




© 2011 Nancy L. Ruder

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Ah, yes, the demise of Fresca...

But I sure do like the way your mind and your taste buds work!

Kim said...

Tab had cyclamates but it came back in a new form later with some other sweetener. By then I'd already moved on to Diet coke, though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...