4/16/10

What's my line?

The recently-turned four-year old is telling me about something new in her lunchbox. I feel like I'm on another planet in an old black and white tv show. Everything sounds right, but nothing makes sense. A code is in place, and I haven't cracked it.



"I have a new timer."

Oh?

"It's made out of glass."

Ah.

"It sounds like coconut."

Huh??



The student demonstrated patiently, as I was clearly differently-abled. She clinked her fingernails on the side of her shiny new aluminun Hello Kitty wide-mouthed Thermos. The clinks did sound "like coconut" somehow, but my time was up. I never would have decoded her story in time to win the Thunderbird convertible. Instead I had to suggest she finish eating the macaroni and cheese in her new "timer".

© 2010 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...