7/25/08

Cincy Verdi

My oldest is attending his second production of the Cincinnati Opera's Summer Festival this weekend, a premiere production of Verdi's "La Traviata" in the historic Music Hall. Nobody's twisting his arm. He enjoyed "Madama Butterfly" in June, and is going back for more. I think that's very cool!

The Cincinnati Opera website gives a preview of the costume designs, which is great fun. At the masked ball in Act II the partygoers are dressed as different operas. See if you can guess them!

Dallas Opera's 2004 "La Traviata" was one of my first operas, my first Verdi. I didn't know enough to prepare before attending to enhance my appreciation. It seems to me the Dallas production had giant chairs and gilded picture frames suspended over the stage.

The Dallas Music Hall at Fair Park is home to the Dallas Opera for one final season. The facility has the same charm as my high school's auditorium, circa 1970. The exterior of the Hall dates from 1925. Cincinnati's Music Hall dates from 1878, and is an impressive brick structure with a beautiful chandelier. I'm awaiting a Monday cultural review from Mr. Speech-Debate.

© 2008 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...