4/27/08

Chinaberry tree


Out of the corner of my eye I realized something was going on in the chinaberry tree behind my patio. Turned my head to see the tree full of cedar waxwings munching on the berries. Where was my camera?

Just the motion of my head set the birds flying off to the north with the wonderful moment uncaptured. Fifteen minutes later the tree was again flocked with cedar waxwings, but my photo isn't great.
The Cornell Lab of Ornithology website calls the cedar waxwing, "one of the most frugivorous birds in North America." What a great word! Fru·giv·o·rous--aren't you just dying to use it in a sentence??? Don't you just have the shivers!?? The first preschooler to eat all her grapes at lunch tomorrow is in for a treat!

adj.
Feeding on fruit; fruit-eating.
[Latin frx, frg-, fruit + -vorous.]


© 2008 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...