4/11/07

You Will Go To the Moon

I never knew if that was a promise or a threat. I didn't want to go to the moon. I didn't want to be squished inside a tiny space capsule, or subjected to zero G's. The closest I ever wanted to be to outer space was drinking Tang while building a Lego lunar lander, or as my students would say, "a Yego yunar yander".

My copy of the Beginner Book, You Will Go To the Moon, by Mae and Ira Freeman, copyright 1959, is in bad shape. Robert Patterson's illustrations still seem part Norman Rockwell and part Twilight Zone.

© 2007 Nancy L. Ruder

2 comments:

Genevieve Netz said...

I'm sure you remember the Sputnik as I do also. I remember driving through the canyons on Highway 20 near Long Pine, Nebraska, and my dad and mom were talking about whether a bright spot in the sky was the Sputnik.

Collagemama said...

We used to stand in the backyard to watch for Echo, an orbiting satellite. That's the first I remember. Sonic booms were a very scary concept, though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...