4/17/07

Under Buttercup Siege

For forty-eight hours now I've been closely surrounded and bombarded by "Build Me Up Buttercup", the 1968 KLMS Top 48 Countdown hit by the Foundations. Every, and I mean every, Saturday I listened to the Top 48 Countdown on my transistor radio, often using the earphone that looked like an ancient hearing aid. When we walked over to the Gateway Mall, we picked up the printed 4.25" x 11" copies of the week's hit list. I studied the list the way my college sons study NCAA basketball brackets. We would blow all our allowance plus our hard-earned babysitting money on an eighty-eight cent 45 rpm of "Penny Lane" or "Georgy Girl". KLMS is an all-sports radio station now, having survived a "New Age" incarnation after its longtime Top 40 format.

So, this ruby Tuesday, I think we're alone now in strawberry fields forever. Something's happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear:

Why do you build me up (Build me up)
buttercup, baby
Just to let me down (Let me down)
and mess me around
And then worst of all (Worst of all)
you never call, baby
When you say you will (Say you will)
but I love you still
I need you (I need you)
more than anyone, darling
You know that I have from the start
So build me up (Build me up)
buttercup, don't break my heart

If you knew that buttercups are a toxic plant for horses you get extra credit and a bag of Montgomery Wards caramel corn.


© 2007 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...