12/6/05

Conditions not favorable for mosquitoes

Forecast covers a broad range of mosquito types. Specific mosquito
species may be more or less active than the overall forecast,
depending on weather conditions or time of day.


Trying to find out if my morning drive will include sleet, and Weather.com gave me this very helpful insight. I'll be wishing my species could be less active if we actually get a winter storm overnight. Thought I'd have to turn on the air conditioner last Saturday when we had a record high of eighty-nine degrees.

Forty years ago last weekend I rode a saucer sled down an elevated iced run sculpted by the teenage boy next door. I went flying over a retaining wall and clonked my nose on the edge of the metal sled. Not to be gross, but I held an aluminum foil pie pan under my nose while it bled for a couple hours. Conditions were not favorable for mosquitoes that day either.

Tomorrow I will read Robert Frost's "Stopping By Woods On a Snowy Evening" to a class about to create cool color metallic constructions. They will be using aluminum foil pie pans from Mrs. Smith. There's much to do to for class preparation:

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


Frost wrote "The Road Not Taken" ninety years ago, a full fifty years before my saucer sled exhilaration led to the lifelong aggravations of a deviated septum.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.


Thank heavens. Knowing I'll be safe from mosquitoes has made all the difference!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...