8/6/03

Roomier nest

Sending my second son off to college soon. I feel so relieved and grateful to know I have helped raise a child to become a reasonably self-sufficient young adult! I enjoy my email relationship with my eldest. We don't talk on the phone very often during the school year, but I like it when he calls with a problem we can brainstorm together. We now have more respectful conversations between two adults. I love NOT knowing if he ever washes his sheets and towels during the semester. Since he's lived on campus for three years, I haven't had to worry about him driving, or living on Ramen noodles. It's nice hearing how he has solved his own problems, or found people to give him good advice. I like finding that he has good sense choosing friends, has gotten along with roommates, and has learned (the hard way) to keep track of his bank card expenses. I haven't agreed with all his choices, financial or academic, but he's chosen wisely more often than not.

In some ways, having the guys go off to college is like the transition from pregnant to parent. There's a lot of accepting that I don't have all the answers, and I can't control it all. When a college kid smiles at you, it is almost as mind-boggling as that first baby's first smile. Heavens! I've helped create a young citizen of the world!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...