5/29/11

Worm whereabouts and library life list

Two more libraries for the life list!  That brings me to sixty-four.  Today I visited the Carrollton Public Library At Josey Ranch Lake.  My worm presentation has been changed to this location, and I wanted to check it out in advance.  The library has a virtual tour online.  It's embarrassing to know so little about the next major suburb one giant step over on the tollroad.  The library is connected to a senior center, looks out on a lake with a loop trail, adjoins a park and an athletic complex, and has a natural plant area.

It was exciting to see the Summer Reading Program poster with the worm event listed, and to see the Carrollton Leisure Connections catalog:



I'm planning to make a soft sculpture Can'O'Worms for the event, sort of a Claes Oldenberg meets Popeye visual aid.  Picked up the "wine" RIT dye and rubber bands at Albertsons.  Heading to the upstairs linen closet to find a well-aged white bed sheet for dyeing.

Walking the library lake 6.4 mile loop trail included views of swans, ducks, red-winged blackbirds, white egret, little blue heron, and green heron, all at no extra charge.

And the other life list library?  My visit to the U.S. Institute for Peace include a quick walk through the Ron Silver Library.  Ron Silver did not mean anything to my son/tour guide.  I had a vague idea Ron Silver was an actor or a political activist.  As it turns out, Silver was both.  In 1989, he co-founded the non-partisan social and political advocacy group Creative Coalition with colleagues including Alec Baldwin, Christopher Reeve, and Susan Sarandon.  I still don't know how the library came to be named for him.

As I read about the USIP's library, I learned about a fascinating woman, Jeannette Rankin.  The library's program is named for this pacifist, the first woman elected to the U.S. Congress.









You can't shake hands with a clenched fist. 
Indira Gandhi


You can't shake hands with a fistful of spinach.  
Popeye





You can't shake hands with a can of worms.
CollageMama


© 2011 Nancy L. Ruder

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

I dig that poster!

Glad to hear of the Ron Silver library.

Kim said...

Ron Silver was on the West Wing for a couple of years. You can't shake hands with a worm, either.

Collagemama said...

I had Ron Silver mixed up with the Miles Silverberg character on Murphy Brown plus a guy I went to college with, although I shouldn't end a sentence with "with".

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...