10/29/10

A scary concept for Halloween

We were having lunch at the picnic tables Wednesday, and comparing notes about our costumes for the upcoming school Halloween party. The preschool kids at my table announced they would be a ladybug, a witch, Supergirl, and a Barbie Diva (registered trademark). They wondered what I would be, so I chose an Art Teacher Diva (trademark pending).  

"OH. MY. GOSH," said Supergirl.

My attire rarely elicits this sort of reaction,
but I must say I looked fabulous, Darling!


The preschool students arrived today dressed as ladybugs, firefighters, police officer, cardiologist, bumblebee, fairy, princess, knight, Dorothy, Spiderman, football player, pink leopard, witch/cat/pumpkin girls, and the Barbie Diva. 



I arrived in my itchy/crunchy white petticoat, white ruched gloves reaching to just below the elbow, my mother's peachy-orange costume necklace with matching clip-on earrings, a vintage black velvet hat with added russet and black plumes, the white feather boa from my son's wedding dance, and a few basic black underlying items of apparel.

"Are you the queen of London?," a seven year-old Rosa Parks asked. 
"No, but I had tea with her last week," I replied with my pinkie out.

The six to nine year-old students dressed up as "real people".  Most were the usual suspects like Rosa Parks and Pocahontas, Marco Polo, Amelia Earhart, some hockey player, "myself", Marie Curie, a squire training to be a knight, Christopher Columbus, an Iranian princess, Martha Washington, Julius Caesar, Davy Crockett, a ballerina, a couple students I never got to ask,

AND THEN THERE WAS

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg back when she was an over-achieving high school cheerleader in Brooklyn! That may be the scariest concept for this Halloween.

© 2010 Nancy L. Ruder

2 comments:

Kim said...

Oh. My. Goodness. You did look fabulous. Your kids must adore you!

Kathleen said...

I agree with my friend Kim (who told me about your blog): You look fabulous! And I love the closeup of the peachy jewelry, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...