9/12/10

Subtraction

How would life in the U.S. today be different if __________?
 
It's an interesting game to play, particularly on this ninth anniversary of 9/11.  Life in the U.S. and around the world would be very different.  Religious tolerance would still be an issue, but so many lives would be changed.  What if we could subtract the source of that chronic low-grade anxiety?

How would my life be different if I hadn't become a mother to Jeff, Mike, and Steven?  Just posing the question places a weight upon my chest.  Subtracting that joy is almost unimaginable.

How would my life be different if Dr. Seuss was subtracted?  Theodor S. Geisel created so many joys for children.  I carry in my mind an image of the Cat in the Hat juggling the fish in the pot every single day when I walk into work.  Life is juggling.  Sometimes the jugglees talk back like the fish.  Put me down, put me down, said the fish in the pot. 

When I supervise the three year olds on the playground slippery slide, I channel Brave Sneelock risking life on his patented life-risking track.  When a student won't speak up with a question, I wonder about the Whos down in Whoville.



And when this insect rode all the way to work on the top of my car, it seemed pretty unbeweevilable.  Hard to believe a real-life insect as weird as a Dr. Seuss creature, but true.



© 2010 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...