10/10/09

The Purse Gods

The purse gods were with me when I walked into Kohl's today to hunt for a purse for the wedding. Earlier this week I lunched with my style advisor and my muse. Both of them should really be elevated to the pantheon. They have steered me well in all wedding matters.

I have never been a mother of the groom (MOG) before, nor have I rowed a trireme in Athens' war against Persia. I'm listening to John R. Hale's audio book, Lords of the Sea: The Epic Story of the Athenian Navy and the Birth of Democracy in the car. Long dormant history lessons and the Theseus myth are coloring my thoughts.

The Greeks invented gods and myths when politically or militarily expedient. I don't know which members of their pantheon would be in charge of purses, but I'm pleased to have those dieties on my side as I paddle the wine-dark sea to my firstborn son's wedding.

Homer's "wine-dark sea" merged with "plum" in my color thoughts as I searched online for colored Jordan almonds to match the wedding's official color. About as easy as killing the Minotaur! I was making the traditional bittersweet wedding almond favors that wish health, wealth, happiness, children, and long life for the wedding couple. I've got a little navy of fru-fru purple almond vessels ready to set sail.

Thankfully, my purse oracles were less ambiguous in their specifications for the perfect handbag for next weekend's events than Themistocles wooden wall advice from Delphi. "Find a black/brown combination and a wrist strap." At Kohl's I found exactly that, not all advice in one, but fifty percent off on two. The omens are auspicious!

© 2009 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...