9/1/09

Fruit bear boats


The children are playing restaurant in the kitchen, asking all the adults for their orders. We have revamped the play kitchen so all the pretend food is soft fabric. I love having this center just a tad more quiet at the end of a long day.


A small herd of waitstaff encircles and enquires what I would like. An idea pops out of my mouth before it hits my brain--a bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich on toasted whole wheat with a root beer float. How good that would taste.


The five year-olds don't seem to know the joy of an A&W root beer float. They want to know how to make a "fruit bear boat".


"What do I owe you?," I ask the kindergarten cashier. "Fifty," he says, and then hands me a promotional Your Name Here credit card. "This is good for your next eleven thousand eighty," he says like a proud start-up entrepreneur.


"Thanks," I say. It's a good deal. Unlimited free fruit bear boats for pretty much the rest of my life.

© 2009 Nancy L. Ruder

1 comment:

Genevieve Netz said...

It's been years since I've been to an A&W, but we sometimes make root beer floats at home. I've never known anyone in my family to decline a root beer float.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...