5/1/09

Barrymore's sandwich

A recent staff birthday lunch set me off on a taste trail. One teacher brought tiny sandwiches with flavored cream cheese fillings. Some were salmon, some sun-dried tomato, and others chive. While good, they only reminded me of excellent cream cheese sandwiches served at Barrymore's in Lincoln in the mid-Seventies.

Black olives and walnuts with thin-sliced rye seem to have been components. I've been experimenting for a couple weeks, and have a tasty spread, although I no longer know if it bears any resemblance to the Barrymore's filling. My first effort was so heavy on pressed garlic that I gave myself a dreadful headache, so this is quite toned down:

Place in medium bowl and blend with hand mixer on medium high until smooth:
12 oz. store brand cream cheese spread
1 fresh basil leaf
1 stalk of fresh dill
1 sprinkle of garlic salt

Drain and chop:
12 pitted kalamata olives
1 oz. sliced sweet pimientos (1/3 jar)

Add olives and pimientos to cream cheese along with 1/3 cup walnut pieces. Mix with rubber spatula.

Use spread on crackers, toasted sourdough, sliced rye. Pretty darn good.

© 2009 Nancy L. Ruder

1 comment:

Christine Thresh said...

We used to have cream cheese and date sandwiches on fresh bakery bread.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...