9/19/08

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood



After this exhausting week of natural disasters and economic catastrophes, it is good to remember the day is beautiful if I'm paying attention.

I'm trying to remain a cockeyed optimist about the possible foundation repair to my condominium building. The water shut-off valves outside each unit were inspected to ensure they would survive a major building repair. The shifting in my part of the building is minor in comparison to the other half. Visualize wringing out a washcloth. That is the twisting that has occurred between the two halves of the building. The washcloth wring twist pretty much describes the current economic situation, too.

Still, the sky was a gorgeous pink and purple accented by the red neon Walgreens sign from the store across the street when I took my recyclables to the carts at six a.m. When I left for work an hour later, hot air balloons were floating above the city in advance of this weekend's Plano Balloon Festival. Arriving at school, there was a perfect sunflower open to catch the light of this lovely North Texas day.

Stopping by my public library after work to pick up picture books about occupations for the preschoolers, I was wowed by this fabulous angular-winged katydid sunning on the wall. Impressive in person, I'm even more amazed since I downloaded the digital photo and can notice details my human eyes couldn't see unaided. Isn't he a handsome dude!? Okay, he's got some green tattoos, but I'm still asking him would you be mine, could you be mine, won't you be my neighbor?

© 2008 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...