12/22/07

1971 Yearbook

Sorely lacking in holiday spirit, I listened to my son tell of his Goodwill quest for a really ugly Christmas sweater to wear to a campus party. I haven't wanted to decorate the tree, fuss with giftwrap, or do anything else to acknowledge the holiday season. Maybe a trip to the land of ugly sweaters was what I needed to get in the spirit. Why isn't there an annual tv special of silly Seventies holiday attire?

The first winter of my parttime job serving up cream of wheat in the hospital kitchen, the dishwasher boys were wearing platform shoes, "baggies" high-waisted, wide-leg pants with extreme cuffs, and reindeer ski sweaters. These were the guys we wanted to cruise alongside through McDonalds, accompany to a movie, or, GASP, go bowling. Why were perfectly normal Nebraska corn-fed beef boys wearing Elton John shoes???




© 2007 Nancy L. Ruder

1 comment:

Genevieve Netz said...

I think bowling is fun, though I'm not a particularly good bowler. I'm amused that my Nebraska girlfriend's son (about 22 years old) wins bowling tournaments and travels to bowling competitions in other states.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...