3/28/07

My Two Front Teeth

Dear Blogger.com,

I've figured out what I really want for Christmas, or much sooner. Pretend I'm editing posts and ready to add the labels. At the bottom of the form, you see the SAVE AS DRAFT and the PUBLISH buttons. Just above them are the Post Options, then Labels for this post: e.g. scooters, vacation, fall. This always distracts me. Did I fall off the scooter on vacation, or did I take that scooter vacation in the fall? Was it like Arte Johnson riding the tricycle on "Laugh In"? Did I crash the scooter into a post because I had no options?

Back on track, I start typing in the labels for my post in that long, skinny rectangle. Last thing in that row is Show all to open a list of all my blog's labels in alphabetical order. This, my dear Blogger.com, is where I want a choice. I want to click Show all for alphabetical order, then be able to click again for Show all by frequency. Then I could decide if I wanted to add more general labels, or something more specific. Right now I've got about a blogillion labels. Like any library subject cataloger, I'm trying to make those labels more useful. Is a label with 123 posts useful? Is a label with one esoteric post useful to the reader? I have 123 posts about art class projects, but a reader might be looking for the seventeen posts about using paper towel tubes, or the one clay project related to leprechauns for ages 3-4. If I could Show all first alphabetically, then by frequency, I could see that the best label would be Preschool art class projects.

And so, fondest Blogger.com, that is my wish. I want to click once for alphabetical order, and twice for frequency. It's just so Paul Reveresque. One if by land and two if by sea, and I on the opposite shore will be having a really bad flashback battle of the bands between the young Motown Michael Jackson and Jackson 5 wailing about ABC, one two three", and Alvin & the Chipmunks chirping out "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth."

Meanwhile, impatient to mount and ride,

Booted and spurred, with a heavy stride

On the opposite shore walked Paul Revere.

Now he patted his horse's side,

Now he gazed at the landscape far and near,

Then, impetuous, stamped the earth,

And turned and tightened his saddle girth;

But mostly he watched with eager search

The belfry tower of the Old North Church,

As it rose above the graves on the hill,

Lonely and spectral and sombre and still.

And lo! as he looks, on the belfry's height

A glimmer, and then a gleam of light!

He springs to the saddle, the bridle he turns,

But lingers and gazes, till full on his sight

A second lamp in the belfry burns.

Koo-koo-ka-choo, Mr. Longfellow,
Bloggers loves you more than you will know.
God bless you, please, Mr. Longfellow.
Heaven holds a place for those who pray,
Hey, hey, hey


© 2007 Nancy L. Ruder

1 comment:

Genevieve Netz said...

Nancy, you might look how I finally did the labels on my recipe blog after trying them a zillion different ways. This was the best I could do at forcing the sort of order that I wanted.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...